Friday, March 2, 2012

Making money on hurting players on purpose???!!!

Just read a new headline that I wanted to post about. The New Orleans Saints cited for really inexcusable behavior--here is what the article said:
"New Orleans Saints players and at least one assistant coach maintained a bounty pool of up to $50,000 the last three seasons to reward game-ending injuries inflicted on opposing players, including Brett Favre and Kurt Warner, the NFL said Friday. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500 and "cart-offs" $1,000, with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs.
The NFL said the pool amounts reached their height in 2009, the year the Saints won the Super Bowl.
The league said between 22 and 27 defensive players were involved in the program and that it was administered by defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, with the knowledge of coach Sean Payton.
Williams apologized for his role, saying: "It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it."
No punishments have been handed out, but they could include suspension, fines and loss of draft picks. The NFL said the findings were corroborated by multiple, independent sources, during an investigation by the league's security department.
Players contributed cash to the pool, at times large amounts, and in some cases the money pledged was directed against a specific person, the NFL said."
So, they were making money off hurting players to get them out of the game! OMGosh!

This was really disconcerting to me. Because I love the game so much-it really upsets me that this stuff goes on--I guess I am naive sometimes to think that this stuff doesn't, but it somehow still surprises me when I hear about it!
I had a thought after I found out about this that maybe I should become a college football fan-where this won't happen--or won't happen as much--BUT WAIT--then there's the whole thing at Penn State--These are the reasons the world needs God so much! I pray that these players and coaches receive the consequences they deserve. And I pray that God watches over us all!

No comments: